Wednesday, June 20, 2012

C4T #2

I have been reading and commenting on John Mikulski's blog, A Classroom in the Cloud, this week. I love this blog! He is so informative and interesting.

Should Teachers Assign Homework

His blog begins with a discussion about eliminating cheating in the classroom. He had recently read about ways to eliminate cheating in the classroom - one of the suggestions was to stop giving homework. He believes that meaningful homework has a place in the classroom, and I couldn't agree more. I commented that homework had been the bain of my existence the entire time I was teaching (and also as a parent), and I always got my feelings hurt when students simply did not do their homework. In a recent assignment in EDM310, we read the importance of teaching our students time management and responsibility - I wish I would have thought about this more as a new teacher. I fully intend on doing this in the classroom. I see nothing wrong with giving students their assignments at the start of a chapter and having them turn it in prior to a test (and going over it as a review the day before a test). I included my plans in my first comment.

How Do We Fix the Outdated Education Model

I loved this blog! Mr. Mikulski used our 'outdated' classrooms as sort of a metaphor for everything that is 'outdated' in education. He included pictures of a modern classroom and compared it to a picture of a replica of Jimmy Carter's sixth grade classroom. Guess what? It hasn't changed much. Big surprise, right? In my comment to this blog, I wrote about the video we watched on 'flipping' the classroom. I fully intend on doing this, when I start teaching again.

I am now following Mr. Mikulski on Twitter. Part of my PLN?

Jimmy Carter's Sixth Grade Classroom


2012 Classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment