Saturday, June 16, 2012

Blog Post #5

The iSchool Initiative

blog.ischoolinitiative.com



Travis Allen's arguments are both motivational and compelling. His primary arguments for the iSchool Initiative economical, connectively, interdisciplinary, and futuristic. It's all very exciting, but I need to first explain my history with Apple. Over the course of my three years at USA during undergrad, I accumulated four iPod Shuffles. The iPod touch was available, but I refused to abandon my small, light-weight jukeboxes for this new-fangled contraption. After four years of college, a car that I had used since my sophomore year of high school, a 3.9 GPA, two full-time jobs, and numerous academic scholarships, my parents bought me a "new ride". It was just a newer model of my run-down VW Jetta, but I couldn't wait to get in and drive! After I got in the car and acclimated myself to the new settings, I adjusted everything and got ready to explore. I started to adjust my radio (I had yet to put my c.d.'s in the car, and I noticed a long cord coming from my middle compartment. I then looked to my right in the passenger seat, and I noticed a little extra surprise. My Dad had purchased a new iPod Touch. He was excited. He quickly exclaimed that I could put all my music on one device. Oh, the joy...I had something new learn. I responded the same way to my iPhone. I couldn't begin to understand why anyone would want to have their music interrupted with a phone call. This is still a problem for me, and I am quick to yell at anyone that interrupts Scarlet Begonias. I had a similar argument when I purchased my iPad. Why do I need a smaller laptop? I will admit that I have had mine since Christmas, and I haven’t really used it – I have recently learned the joys of this beautiful creation because of EDM310...iMovie? Yeah, that app ROCKS!

With all that being said and teaching experience, I can begin explaining the value I found in Travis Allen’s dreams for an iSchool. This is where I see the most value for technology in the classroom. The iSchool Initiative will financially benefit both the students and education systems – there will no longer be a need to purchase paper, writing utensils, ink, printers, etc. The money usually put towards purchasing these materials can be spent elsewhere. It will also allow the students to only carry a pound or so to school – no more aching bodies from all those books and notebooks. Very cost-effective! The iSchool Initiative will also allow for better connections to be made – connections can be made from teacher to student, student to teacher, parent to teacher, teacher to parent, and student to student! It would be one of the first successful attempts at really connecting the parent to teacher….no more missed phone calls, ‘misplaced’ notes home, lost report cards, etc. It will also offer a wider range of curriculum to students. Mr. Allen discussed many applications that could be used: An app entirely devoted to our presidents, an app for searching the stars, and I noticed a little girl learning basic mathematics in the second video. Teachers would also be able to include interdisciplinary lesson plans with ease with all these applications. We’ve already discussed earlier this year the importance of preparing our students for the future. We may not see the jobs they will working, but they will. We should prepare them for the future now!

Now, I wouldn’t be Lindsay Ann, if I didn’t find a counter-argument somewhere. Of course, I have one despite my enthusiasm stated above. With all the advancement in technology, the applications, and emphasis placed on independent learning, might we be on a path to eliminate some of the more important aspects of learning? The teacher? Social norms? That should also be addressed and never forgotten, but I am all for the iSchool Initiative!

sunshinedaydream.biz

Virtual Choir

Many thanks to Jennifer Chambers! I had never seen this. Although I have never posted to youTube until recently, I am an avid stalker of a few channels. The work they did was beautiful, and it was amazing that the members had never met. I think the amount of time, talent and technology that went into it is amazing, but I have some reservations about the use of it in education. I think the project is beneficial from a technology standpoint - it would be of great interest and value in media classes. However, I am not an advocate of this use of technology in the Arts. While it can be a learning tool and very enterprising for any group that could pull it off, I think that choir is a class that needs to meet in a live group setting. It's one of the Arts!

salkeiz.orvsd.org


Teaching in the 21st Century

Wow! I have a headache. There was so much information in Mr. Robert's video that this should be a blog assignment all to its own.

Mr. Robert's suggests that our role as an educator is changing, and I am not sure I agree with his opinion. While his description of becoming a "filter" for our students seemed glorified with all the information he was throwing at us, I still think that our job description is more than merely a "filter" to our students. It appeared that our role as an actual educator of content material was lessened and that can never happen! A teacher has always been a guide. While we need to act as a moderator in what our students are learning, we can't forget what we are there to do. Some students can't learn independently. Some students need instruction. We must also provide the material - everything else is secondary.

I'm afraid that I did not agree with this video, and I found parts to be insulting. I understand the importance of preparing our students for there future, and technology is the future. I just don't agree with handing them an idea and letting them run with it. There's so much on the Internet that has not been "filtered" - much isn't true. We need to provide them with the facts...filter what else they find.

quizzle.com

A Flipped Classroom?

I really enjoyed these videos and the concept of "flipping the classroom". I have used something similar in my classroom, and I learned it from my high school Geometry teacher, Adam Williamson. "Flipping the Classroom" isn't really new or all about technology, videos, websites, blogging, etc. While I may not have had the knowledge or use of technology to flip my classroom, I did it numerous times a semester when I had difficult material to teach. For example, when it came time to teach about the reasons for the Protestant Reformation, I sent home an assignment with the students to be signed by a parent that was aware of our studies. They had an intense note-taking assignment three days before starting the unit to be completed at home. I made it a test grade, so they were more willing to complete the assignment. When we started the unit in class, they had a good knowledge base of the material that we were learning about. We had more time for explanations and discussions about the material. While videos would have made this more teacher directed, they still benefited from the reinforcement and application. I never thought of a seating chart that would help me effectively reach students at different levels of understanding. This is a great idea! I will surely use this method! I am excited about this!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsay,
    I loved your story about the iTouch and new car and all. That was funny and sounds like me with all these new technologies we have so much to learn! I think the iSchool Initiative is great too but do you think about the hands-on science experiments and how kids won't get to experience dissection or explosions in the classroom? Maybe they could have labs still along with the iSchool. Could work right? Anyway, I agree with you about the virtual choir. Art is art and should be performed in live meetings to get the full effect, in my opinion. Also, I do see your point of view with the filtering in the classroom. Teachers are there for a reason and area necessity to students! All kids need guidance and instruction. Good post, even if you don't agree. There is nothing wrong with that! I am super excited about the flipping the classroom ideas too! I loved what you did for a test grade as well. I will have to remember that when I go back to teach. I love how honest you are and how you tell stories from your experiences. It makes it all very easy to read. Keep up the great work!

    Courtney Blackmon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay,

    Great job, once again! It is refreshing to read your blog posts as they seem to point out ideas that I have not read in other posts or thought of myself. I loved the story about your new car that you tied in with the iSchool Initiative. I definitely understand your weariness about this program getting rid of social norms and writing skills. I wrote about that back when I took EDM 310. However, I feel the benefits might outweigh the negative aspects of the program. If I were to incorporate the iSchool Initiative in my classroom, I would still find a way for my students to practice their writing skills. I also feel our role as teachers is much more than a "filter." It makes me feel as if our job is not that important by being labeled a "filter." Keep up the wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete