Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Parvin, Lindsay Ann Blog Post #1

A Bit About Me

My name is Lindsay Ann Parvin – most people call me L.A. or Lindsay Ann. I am USA Alumni, class of 2005. I currently live in Ocean Springs, Mississippi. I have degrees in History with an emphasis on German History and Secondary Education. I also have minors in English and Sociology. I have taught at Alma Bryant High School in Irvington, Alabama, and Shades Valley High School in Birmingham, Alabama. I have taught both ends of the spectrum from I.B. to remediation for the AHSGE. I have also coached volleyball and softball at both schools. After moving to Birmingham, we discovered I had a blood clotting condition that caused me to suffer a pulmonary embolism and heart failure. My husband and I decided the best place for me was at home with our children. After being a domestic goddess for five years and completing a recent divorce, I have decided to go to graduate school at USA. Before I can be admitted and start my program, I have to get my teacher’s certificate reinstated. I sit for the Praxis next weekend! I hope to start my graduate studies in the Fall. I look forward to everything new I have to learn!

My hobbies and interest include my children, History, making jewelry, reading, Theatre, and sports. My children are my life. I have full custody of my five year old daughter, Caroline, and my twin stepsons visit me twice a week. Caroline loves school, playing guitar, and video games. The twins are sixteen years old, play football for Ocean Springs High School, and want to attend the University of Alabama. I found my love for German History the summer after I graduated high school, when I backpacked much of Europe. I hope to retire to Rothenburg ob der Tauber one day. While WWI and WWII spark most peoples’ interest, my fascination lies with Bismarck’s reign. I have my own small business in Ocean Springs. I make jewelry with glass beads and sell to many local stores. Pleasure reading is scarce these days, but I am currently reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Theatre is a new passion of mine. I have most recently been seen in the Biloxi Little Theatre’s production of Cabaret, and I am currently helping with their summer production of Dog Sees God. I don’t get to play sports as much as I used to, but I play a pick-up game whenever I can. I am also an avid University of Alabama football fan – that’s where I went to undergrad before South Alabama. I have many hobbies and interest, but I love them all!

I really hope I watched the right video, because the link on the EDM310 Class blog wouldn’t work. It would not allow me to open it. I couldn’t remember the man’s name that led the video discussion. I did watch a four minute video on YouTube entitled, Randy Pausch on Time Management – I would like to thank my fellow classmates that had already blogged today and were practicing great time management for giving me his name. I am not a procrastinator, but I would love to rid my life of stress. I am afraid I don’t meet Mr. Pausch’s definition of most Americans – I am great with time management and very poor at dealing with money as a commodity. I guess I should set some monetary goals.

6 comments:

  1. Checking my comments! Lindsay, you are so wonderful! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are way ahead. Super!

    From domestic goddess to graduate student. What a change!

    You watched the correct video. More will follow about Dr. Pausch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a huge change, but I have some great help around the house. My daughter has been introduced to doing a few more chores around the house this week. You would think that putting up your own crayons or socks was some kind of death-defying act. I guess we are all learning something new this week. I will say that this course has changed a lot, and it has changed in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsay Ann! I enjoyed reading your Blog Post #1. I think we would get along well and have a lot in common; My daughter's name is Elizabeth-Anne, I love history, reading, making jewelry, and my family is my life.

    It sounds like you have definitely had some obstacles to overcome, but I admire you for all that you have accomplished and the goals you have set for yourself. Juggling the responsibilities of mom and student can be quite a challenge.

    I am working toward my degree in Elementary Education and believe my ideal grade level would be third to fifth. I cannot even imagine teaching high school! Maybe you can give me some tips on do's and don'ts of first year teaching.

    Good luck to you as you pursue your masters degree and become a school counselor. A counselor can play such an important role in schools. There are so many issues that students deal with now. You will truly be in a position that makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your kind words. I am open to talk about anything you are interested in with your first year of teaching - the most important thing to remember is to not become overwhelmed. I remember going home after my second day feeling completely inadequate. I called my parents, and I begged for my second chance at going to law school. I even pondered going into real estate. My second semester was so much easier! I knew the kids, and my lesson plans carried over from the previous semester. I also had the chance to get involved more with coaching, SGA, and Model UN. I admire you - I could never work with small children all day long. I couldn't imagine doing that and coming home to my own kids. I would pull my hair out. Any and all questions are welcome. I have wonderful memories of the latter end of my first semester and second semester. If I can make it through this Praxis this weekend, I think I will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your Praxis! I took mine about two months ago, and it really isn't as bad as some people say. The online review helped me feel more confident on test day. The practice test is exactly the same format as the Praxis. You've got this!

      Delete