Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Blog Post #8

Little Miss Scatterbrain: Me, Today Only

I would just like to say that there were parts to this blog assignment that I loved and parts that I disliked...very much. I am afraid it is a bit of a mess, because my logic is a mess with all of it. I don't know why it was so difficult. Bear with me...maybe some of it will make sense. I am rarely at such a loss for words - maybe it's just the end of midterms for all twelve hours I am taking this semester. Here's to hoping.

This is How We Dream

A Good Old Book

I think Richard Miller's point in these videos is to express the change that is already here and how educators can embrace the ease of having all the information at our fingertips - we just have to know how to use it. Being such a fan of the liberal arts, I appreciate a good old-fashioned book more than anything. I like to curl up in the couch or in my bed and flip through pages of adventures that I have never imagined. I have stated before that I have been somewhat adverse to the whole shift in technology. I own a PC, an iPod Touch, an iPhone 4S, an iPad, and a Nook, but I have never used any of these to their fullest potential until I took EDM 310. I guess I have always just liked having the latest technology but only using for what was in my personal comfort zone. But history does repeat itself, and I have found that my comfort zone has grown through broadening my horizons and trial and error. I think that Mr. Miller discussed a lot of important topics about are changing world and some stood out more than others.

First, he spoke of us as witnessing the 'greatest change in human communication in human history'. It's true. The teacher's desk has now become our laptops and digital notebooks. I carry mine wherever I go: class, computer lab, doctor's office, dentist office, to the gym, etc. I can learn and add to my knowledge base with the touch of my keyboard or screen. It's so easy. We can access knowledge without going to a campus library or skimming through thousands of books. We can communicate globally with any teacher, anywhere, at any time. We can collaborate through technology, with so many people, and have so many more tools. With today's technology we can include videos, images, sound, print documents, visual documents, sound documents, and anything published on the web.

Second, new research changes almost immediately before our eyes. This is important for two reasons. The first reason is that it's important for teachers and students to have current and accurate information for the best learning environment. It would do no good to have an English textbook that was based off of a MLA version from 1999 - with technology, we can provide our students with the most current information (that they will also need in higher education) to correctly document resource materials. The second reason it's important is that teachers need to stay one step ahead of there students. I learned this the hard way while teaching IB at Murphy High School - I got caught not being aware of a current event.

Third, we can 'push' ideas into our culture and learning communities. We can produce alternative options and publish them freely. It might take up to two years to have a work published in print. With the Web, we can do it now! We must always also remember that the earliest of efforts are fascinating - that goes for both teachers and students. We can learn from both and through trial and error.

Putting All Our Tools Together

Blog Post #12: Carly Pugh

What Dr. Miller meant by writing with multi-media?

Carly has used a collaboration of video, images and documents to produce her teaching philosophy.

I loved the Colin Firth video...Mr. Darcy.

YouTube Playlists

The Chipper Series and EDM for Dummies

EDM Junkie

I loved these videos! The Chipper Series and EDM for Dummies are very entertaining. Very creative!

There are a few movies that I would like to create and be part of:

1. The proper way to conduct yourself in the EDM310 lab to create the most optimal learning environment for all students....maybe it would be called Today's Miss Manner's for EDM310

2. A video about other software you can download to help at home and include brief introductions of how to get started using each...maybe the title will be Alternative Ways to Succeed in EDM310 from Your Home Computer.

3. How to Create a High School Book Trailer


Learn to Change, Change to Learn
Learn to Change, Change to Learn

School as a Tool for Learning

This video emphasizes opening all for our teachers and students. Schools should just be one tool for learning for the field of education as a whole. Students and teachers should be able to explore museums, community sites, websites and school to better our learning environment. We can't just have this steady regime of meeting objectives and taking standardized tests. We have to open these windows of opportunity to all involved. Although I still consider the teacher to be the best vessel of portraying knowledge to our students, I do think that teaching our students to use other tools to validate information is important for our technological future.

Scavenger Hunt 2.0

Web 20.11 is AWESOME! PLN? I think so.

WEB 2.O Kool-Aid Man

My Comic:

1. I used Make Believe Comix

Honest Abe

2. Was the site ANIMOTO?

"Educators can apply for a free Animoto Plus account for use in the classroom. Its powerful features can be used to create stunning presentations incorporating images, video clips, music and text."

3. I created this quiz with the tool link on how to make a poll. I used ProProfs




I apologize for the disconnection...I just could bring it all together.

5 comments:

  1. I to also disliked some parts of blog post #8. Richard Miller could have made his videos more interesting; they were boring. I did like the scavenger hunt, it was something different, and also check your comic strip I think you might have some misspelled words. Overall a great post, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you. I left the "T" out of community...sometimes I type too fast. You misspelled 'to' in your comment. It should be "too". I didn't think it was boring. I just couldn't make all the assignments link together - it was probably more me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lindsay,

    I'm here in lieu of Jacey-Blaire. I hope you don't mind too much. :) I like to think I'm a nice commenter. Anyway, your post was very entertaining. I'm scatterbrained most of the time myself so I actually could follow along quite well. Surprise, surprise. I don't have much more to say other than I love the comic you made. It's funny. Lincoln and horoscopes... I hope you had a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all. I don't know what it was. I rarely run out of things to say. I just couldn't make it work on this one. My sense of humor is sometimes dry, so I decided to just go with something basic and historical. Hope your 4th was great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for providing important information. All your information is very valuable to me.
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete